CELL BIOLOGY RESEARCH IN CANADA
TRAVEL AWARD FOR LATIN AMERICAN STUDENTS AND FELLOWS
The Jacobo and Estela Klip Award
A new award has been created to support Latin American graduate students
or postdoctoral fellows interested in collaborative research with one of the
laboratories of the Cell Biology Program of the Hospital for Sick Children in
The Jacobo and Estela Klip Fund will provide $8,000 (Cdn) to support the
travel and accommodation expenses for successful candidates to spend a period
of 4-6 months in a laboratory of their choice in the Cell Biology Program. The
members of the Cell Biology Program and their areas of interest can be found at:
Cell Biology Travel Award –
Jacobo and Estela Klip Fund at Sick Kids
• Applicant eligibility
- Career stage: Masters’ or Ph.D. student or postdoctoral fellow in Latin American University or Research Institute
- Citizenship: Mexican, Central American or South American
- Professional membership: Trainees must be/become members of one of the Latin American scientific societies affiliated to the Panamerican Association of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (PABMB; see http://pabmb.org/organization/member-societies/) or another accredited LatinAmerican scientific society
• Host laboratory eligibility
- Host Supervisor must be a member of the Cell Biology Program of the Research Institute of the Hospital for Sick Children of Toronto.
- Host career stage: Scientist, Associate Scientist, Senior Scientist, Senior Associate Scientist, Scientist Track
- Must commit to providing travel health insurance for the duration of the visit (estimated at ≈$300 through private insurer)
Applicant should contact potential Supervisor (defined above) to establish interest in hosting the visit.
Applications should be made electronically (via SlideRoom) accessing the following site:
Application consists of: a) CV of Applicant; b) Reference letter from Applicant’s local Supervisor; c) Letter of agreement by proposed Sick Kids host Supervisor; d) Two-page project description (including references and figures, if appropriate); e) Up to 1 page statement of advantages of project to Applicant’s development and suitability of host laboratory.
Applications should be made before October 9, 2020 and decisions will be communicated by December 15th, 2020.
Successful candidates must then apply for Canadian Visitor’s visa and/or eTA, as appropriate and must take up the award within 12 months of being awarded.
Acceptance and Acknowledgment
Before the funds will be disbursed, the successful candidates must complete an Award Acceptance Form within 2 months of notification, committing to:
a) complete a one-page brief at the end of the award describing how the award furthered the applicant’s research project and career prospects
b) acknowledge the award in posters and other presentations arising from activity funded by the award.
c) send a thank-you note to the donors prior to completion of the award. Information to contact the donors will be provided at the time of notification of the award.
For additional information contact the Research Training Centre